Tuesday 10 April 2012

New Songs For Aretha

Many older artists that we revere have made comeback albums with critical success.  Mavis Staples has enjoyed plaudits for her "new" solo career; Solomon Burke found success through his work in the late 90s and until his death a few years back; Gil Scott-Heron was bang up to date with his "I'm New Here" set just before his death last year and the first sounds from the Bobby Womack album are promising.

The one I want to hear is a new Aretha album.  So here's some songs I think she could make her own.

1. Leavin' - Shelby Lynne
2. Just One Kiss - Raphael Sadiq
3. You Are My Everything - Mary J Blige
4. None Of Us Are Free - Solomon Burke (amongst others)
5. I'm Through Trying To Prove My Love To You - Bobby Womack
6. Ruby Lee - Bill Withers
7. I Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer - Stevie Wonder
8. Between A Man And A Woman - Kate Bush
9. The Nick Of Time - Bonnie Raitt
10. Down By The River - Neil Young

No comments: