Sunday 8 May 2011

The Persuasions - "Gonna Keep On Tryin' Till I Win Your Love" (1974)

And try I did for about 30 years to find this single again (why - see ""The Lost And Found") and like the proverbial London buses two come along at once.  After a determined search through many a singles box at the London VIP fair in April, I tried ebay for the 100th time.  Amazingly a search produced the single and the vinyl album it came from.  Thinking that if I go for the single only and the quality is poor, I might not have another 30 years of search left in me,  I bought both.

This is a real gem of a single.  A live performance of the Motown song, written by my faves Norman Whitfield and Barret Strong, recorded by many artists usually as an album track or B side.  Marvin, Jimmy Ruffin, Edwin Starr, but for me the definitive Motown version was always the Temptations take on the "Sky's The Limit" album.  The Persuasions are an accapella group with a history dating back to the mid 60s.  Still going strong they have a definitive sound with gospel, doo-wop and soul to the fore.

The album "More Than Before" has a live side with covers of Bobby Womack, Gladys Knight and the Pips and Temptations songs. This was their first album on A+M since switching from Island and the new label caught some of their regular set to start the next phase of their career.  Another change was the studio side is with instruments and added to the usual flavour.

I love this and it was worth the wait.


A+M - AMS 7123 (UK Single) -
A+M - AMLS 63635 (UK album "More Than Before")
45Cat entry - http://www.45cat.com/artist/the-persuasions

No comments: